LABoratory Automation engineer
Sera Prognostics, Inc., a women’s health care company, is seeking a driven individual for the role of Laboratory Automation Engineer. The Automation Engineer will contribute to the installation, qualification, validation, troubleshooting and maintenance of simple and complex laboratory instrumentation within the laboratories of Sera Prognostics, Inc. This position works closely with the other members of the Technical Services team at Sera to ensure that the existing infrastructure necessary for laboratory operations is operating at its highest possible capacity while maintaining the highest quality results. Additionally, the Automation Engineer will collaborate with the engineering team to develop, deploy and validate new automation technologies processes to meet the company’s future testing requirements.
- Assists and works with the other members of the Technical Services Team during the installation, qualification, operation, and maintenance of both simple and complex laboratory instrumentation, including but not limited to:
- Liquid chromatography systems
- Mass spectrometers
- Forced air incubators
- Freezers (low and ultra-low) and refrigerators
- Vacuum concentrators
- Water purification systems
- Applies laboratory automation experience to the process improvement and troubleshooting of laboratory procedures and workflows
- In collaboration with the engineering team, implements solutions to liquid handling robotics, tube labeling and capping, tube and microplate handling, specimen storage, and other lab automation technologies
- Implements new barcode labeling and scanning capabilities to achieve 100% complete chain of custody in sample tracking
- Identifies opportunities to expedite or improve project completion, develop new projects, or new uses of current technology
- Contributes to the criteria and selection of equipment and processes to facilitate the automation of all laboratory testing and needed modifications
- Maintains highly detailed, contemporaneous documentation of all activities performed on instrumentation
- Assists in assay and testing system validations
- Authors validation protocols and reports consistent with company and regulatory validation standards
- Reviews and/or authors SOP’s in support of the testing processes
- Effectively communicates with engineering staff of instrument vendors
- Complies with corporate and safety policies of Sera Prognostics, Inc.
- Suggests improvements in efficiencies for laboratory processes or procedures
- Bachelor’s in Chemistry, Biology, Medical Technology, Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Dexterous and able to use tools
- Ability to read, understand and adhere to standard operating procedures
- Proficient in the use of computers and basic software packages (Word, Excel)
- The ability to work safely in a laboratory environment
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate a high degree of personal & professional initiative
- Strong organizational/time management; able to manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 3-5 years of experience working in a clinical diagnostic or pharmaceutical discovery or development laboratory
- Skilled with Excel VBA, VB.Net, C#, C+ or other programming language
- Analytical skills necessary to plan for, design or enhance highly‑complex systems and programs, resolve problems requiring a comprehensive and state‑of‑the‑art awareness of automation, instrumentation and scientific field
- Prior experience with automation and instrumentation (implementation and troubleshooting)
- Previous experience in liquid handling automation, tube labeling and scanning, sample handling automation, and integrated robotic systems is highly desirable
- Problem solving ability - able to develop creative, practical solutions that meet business objectives
- Familiarity with Quality System concepts and CLIA requirements.
- Shows proactivity in identifying and then overcoming problems.
- Experience working in a regulatory environment (CLIA, CAP, FDA, ISO)