Medical Laboratory Scientist
Sera Prognostics, Inc. is a women’s health care company dedicated to improving the health of babies and mothers. We are seeking a highly successful Medical Laboratory Scientist for our CLIA/CAP/NYDOH accredited laboratory based in Salt Lake City. The Sera Clinical Laboratory (SCL) Medical Lab Scientist provides services of both a technical and non-technical nature in the laboratory. They perform laboratory tests to provide physicians with rapid and accurate test results. General duties include: preparation of specimens for processing in the laboratory; performance of highly complex analytical process; establishing, performing, and documenting quality assurance, quality control, and equipment maintenance; recognizing problems and identifying causes; confirming and verifying results through an in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles, and instruments; correlating and interpreting data based on knowledge of factors affecting test results; and data handling and input.
- Performs highly complex analytic processes without direct supervision. Uses routine and specialized laboratory procedures and/or techniques for which he/she is qualified, trained, and demonstrates competency according to established laboratory standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Prepares specimens for processing in the laboratory; performs highly complex analytical processes; analyzes chromatographic data, transcribes and inputs generated results; performs and documents quality control and selected equipment maintenance; performs quality assurance activities; recognizes problems and assists in identification of the cause.
- Operates laboratory instruments and ensures proper functioning of laboratory equipment. Troubleshoots basic instrument malfunctions and performs preventive and corrective maintenance on all laboratory equipment. Recognizes when professional service is required and requests service if needed. Otherwise, reports service needs to the instrument control engineer or supervisor for resolution. Maintains detailed documentation of instrument maintenance.
- Calibrates laboratory instruments to ensure accuracy of test results. Performs quality control procedures as specified in laboratory SOPs and maintains QC records and documentation necessary to meet the standards of accrediting agencies.
- Understands appropriate specimen collection, handling and transport procedures. Prepares specimens for analysis and determines acceptability of samples within guidelines.
- Maintains clean and orderly work area. Cleans bench surfaces and equipment each shift or after contamination or spill.
- Maintains a safe laboratory environment and complies with Sera policies and safety procedures.
- Understands and complies with good laboratory practice, including safety, HIPAA, confidentiality, and regulatory requirements.
- Recognizes unexpected results, errors and problems with patient samples or results.
- Adheres to principles of data security and patient confidentiality. Maintains ethical standards in the performance of testing and in interactions with patients, co-workers and other health care professionals.
Analytical Decision Making:
- Performs analytical decision-making functions without direct supervision.
- Prioritizes order of testing workload and testing schedules. Coordinates general workflow in assigned area.
- Resolves and documents resolution of all QC results which fail lab criteria and institutes corrective action.
- Evaluates instrument/method failure and communicates according to protocol.
- Responds to technical questions consistent with level of training.
- Responsible for own continuing education and professional development.
- Provides technical information and/or instruction to clients and new employees as defined and where appropriate.
- Suggests improvements in efficiencies for laboratory processes and procedures.
- Implements changes in response to new technology and laboratory procedures as assigned.
- Reports test results according to defined procedures.
- Maintains open and effective communication with SCL personnel. Demonstrates willingness to cooperate with team members in the laboratory to accomplish timely and accurate testing.
- Demonstrates professional demeanor, in personal appearance and behavior, in all work-related interactions inside and outside of the laboratory.
- Demonstrates adaptability by embracing changes in the laboratory with a positive attitude. Provides constructive feedback for modification of laboratory procedures, policies and test/employee scheduling.
Salt Lake City, Utah
The Medical Laboratory Scientist will report to the Director of Laboratory Operations of Sera Prognostics. This position will have no direct reports.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree in a chemical, physical, or biological science or medical technology from an accredited institution.
- Experience with standard LIS or LIMS systems in a clinical laboratory setting
- Experience with and understanding of CAP and NYDOH clinical testing regulations
- Experience and understanding of CAP and NYDOH clinical testing regulations
Preferred Education and experience
- Two years of pertinent clinical laboratory experience
- Experience with LC-MS instrumentation
- Experience in immunology, antibody capture, and ELISA technologies
- Current ASCP MLS, or C certification.